Thursday, September 4, 2008

Start a routine

Deep down inside, we all know what’s good for us. But more often than not our tendencies to react to the world around us affect our better judgment – often resulting in outcomes we wouldn’t ordinarily desire.

Much in the same way, we all know what to do. But often is the case that we shun this knowledge for random acts of disarray. Some acts are more obvious than others, but ultimately our unwillingness to stand up and demonstrate self-leadership often leads us to take a back seat and let someone else take the wheel.

I am no exception.

I often find myself doing things I didn’t really want to do. I often find myself taking actions that are really soft-actions; actions that put off the real action that needs to happen. It’s so easy to get distracted. I’d need to get a project plan done for instance, but instead the phone might right, or a new email pops up or I hear a nice song that I just want to “savor” the moment. Sometimes it’s worse, sometimes I simply sabotage myself.

A soft-action. And then another. And another.

Over time, allowing one’s self to be driven by external influences manifests itself into the very fiber of our programming. Eventually the distractions from the forces around us seep into our subconscious mind. It becomes so powerful that sometimes the forces aren’t external. They come from within.

It is probably important to rewrite the code that has long taken up residence but truth be told, I don’t know how.

Or do I?

No comments: