Thursday, July 10, 2008

Priorities

Over the course of one's life, one is likely to come to certain junctions and crossroads. At these life intersections, one is called to make a decision. Sometimes the decision made at these junctions don't matter at all as whichever way one would chose to go would lead back to the same, or at least similar place. However there are some other junctions, when taken takes you to the land of no return. Once the choice has been made, you're gonna have to live with it.

Then there are those U-turns. When you're on one road you decide that that's not the right way to go and you go back and start over.

I don't know where the junctions, intersections or U-eys are on my road of life. But I figured that when I come to them, I might as well be ready with some beacons to help me on my journey. To do this, I am going to prioritise.

I suppose this begs 2 questions. Firstly: Why prioritise and subsequently: why now? The answer to the first question is rather simplistic. In order to know what to do, you must first know where you want to go. I'm sure we've all been in the situation where we're at the store and we've got no idea what we wanted to get in the first place. Just then you think: "I should have made a list". This is my list.

Why now is a question that's more of a challenge. I suppose now because I think its about time I get what I want. I admit that I'm somewhat jealous of some people I know. They've come from humble beginnings and now are really on their way to the top. At the same time there are those who haven't really gone anywhere despite having numerous opportunities hurled their way. That said, I suppose the now is because I don't wanna wait any longer. In essence, the why now question is in itself a crossroads on its own.

Before I look at raking my priorities, I'd like to visit what areas in my life I consider important. Off the top of my head and in no particular order they are:

- Career
- The significant other
- God
- Family
- Friends
- Wealth
- Health

Looking at this short list I must say that I am already at odds where my priorities lie. It's difficult for me to say that my career is more important than God, or that health is more important than my lovely significant other.

I'm going to call the following my first draft. Using the method of comparing each item to the next and prioiritising & sorting each point against the next, I have come up with the following list:

1.Career
2.The significant other
3.Family
4.God
5.Health
6.Wealth
7.Friends

I can easily say that my current priorities aren't in the order above. Time for action. Time to get no 1 in place 1st.

Starting now.

No comments: