Friday, July 25, 2008

When the light isn't bright, it's still there

I presume ants can't see. And like ants heading towards their next food source, we are all often guilty of going about our narrow pathways towards the little invisible goals we set for ourselves.

Take for example an aspiring mummy pleaser. He'll do is do everything he can to prove to his mother that he can be a success in life. He'll take two jobs, pretend to be intellectual but in the end all he's looking forward to is her golden approval. He might think he knows what he's doing but does he?

Or take the obsessive housewife who's always busy cleaning up and making sure everything's in order. Does she really like things clean or is she just looking for the approval of someone else?

The examples may vary but the idea is quite simple. We all do things for some reason or another, think we do it for reason A but do it for reason B. And we often don't realise until something smacks us in the face.

Along the path of our feeble objective more often than not we'll get some sort of sign that tells us to slow down and reexamine what we're up to. I, like most who will read this will attest to this. And like the rest of you, I too am guilty of overlooking the signs. Then when the cookie crumbles or the back breaks, we'd say "why didn't I notice" or "I should have known better than that."

When I felt the stain a few days ago, I ignored it and went on to complete what I was doing. I didn't expect it to get worse - or rather I didn't bother to stop and consider the consequences of my actions. I just move on - and paid the price.

I'm still paying the price. And if Doc B is right, I will continue the installments for a long time to come.

For me, two good things came out of this. Firstly I very quickly learnt that I should consider the repercussion of my actions not only before embarking on it, but also in mid stream.

Secondly, I learnt to be positive and happy regardless. Hope for the best and expect the worse. What's already happened has already happened. Don't fret, just learn. Learning is something I'm learning to do again.

It's easy to imagine that everything's dark and there's no end in sight. But even when the light isn't bright, it's not to say that the light isn't there.

It is. Open your eyes and you'll see.

No comments: